We see it in the market, we see people hawking it. Even the hairdresser on your street sells it as a side hustle but how do you make this popular snack at home?
- 250 g of flour
- Teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of powdered milk
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl including the egg and some water and mix to form a thick batter.
2. To get the desired consistency, keep adding water in bits but do not over do it. Mix thoroughly until the batter is thick and stretchy.
3. Put the oil on fire until it is hot but make sure it is not too hot. If the oil is too hot, the buns will not cook properly on the inside.
4. Mold the batter and drop it in the oil gradually. Drop it in batches so you don’t overcrowd the oil. It is better to fry with medium heat so that the buns can cook properly on the inside.
5. When frying the next batch, it is important to reduce the heat because the oil would have already been very hot from the first batch.
6. Fry until the buns are golden brown and properly cooked.
7. Repeat this process until you have cooked everything.
Nigerian buns is best served hot with any cold drink of your choice.